Sunday, March 28, 2010

day 24 & 25 (武当山)

Day 24- 武当山 sat 27
We had to assemble at 7am at the back gate to start our journey to 武当山, a 2 days 1 night trip.Before leaving we ordered McDelivery for our breakfast since we won’t be able to eat McDonald’s for like the next two days. The journey to 武当山 takes about 5 hours according to the tour guide and she told us to make good use of this time to rest on the bus. Well, the only thing which I’m looking forward to is the hotel there. We heard that the hotel conditions there are better than the cruise and the hostel.
We stopped by a local restaurant somewhere near the mountain to have our lunch. And that was my very first time eating DONKEY’s meat! After trying and can’t make up what type of meat it was and decided to ask the waitress. Knowing what it was, we dare not eat another piece.I had never imagined that I will ever try donkey meat in my life! When the dish was served, we were curious about it as it doesn’t look like any of the meat we had eaten before. The dish was presented in a very simple “ordinary” look and fried peanuts were sprinkle all over it with a little green garnish. The meat was dark red/brown (red meat texture) which looks a bit like beef and when we tried it, it was soft and 40% taste like pork and 60% taste like chicken. In other words, simple DONKEY’s MEAT! (I don’t know how to describe the taste.)


Our first stop for 武当山 was Tai Zi Bo. We visited the temple there and learn about the history of how it was being built and the founder. There are different teachings for different temples, some teach about Buddhist, while others about Taoist and Confucius.
Next stop was another temple. We took the “green” bus which is a tour bus around the mountain. To me both the temples look the same. And it was at this second temple where I dropped my CAMERA! Well first camera and then laptop! What else could be next?! I’ve no idea on how the camera can slipped out of my hand when I had the strap secured to my wrist. Now two electronic devices down! And I hope there won’t be anymore! ):
The restuarant which we had our dinner in:

Finally, after the second temple visit, we get to check in to our hotel. I had to admit, the hotel’s conditions were better than our hostel’s. However, I was not very satisfied with their service.

view outside our hotel
We were only given half an hour to settle down in our hotel and then we need to get back out to visit the third site, which is another temple.

Reflection:
I had never expected donkey to be eaten here! I always thought that dog meat is the most common bazaar food that can be found in China, but I had never expected them to eat donkey too! And my friend told me it is a norm here.
Although the three-star hotel was quite presentable, the services there were not as good as I thought it will be. My heater and the television can’t be on when we go in and so my friend and I went down to the receptionist to request for help. But they seems reluctant to go up with us to our room just to take a look, instead they kept on telling us that we did not switch on the electricity or something. After about 5 minutes wasted trying to convince them that the appliances really can’t work, they finally called a staff near our room to go check it out. After find out the fault for the connections of the plugs, then the television and heater was turned on. I believe if we were in Singapore, the hotel staff will immediately get someone to check our room without much hassles.

Day 25-武当山 sun 28
Last day on 武当山! We have to meet up at 7am to have a quick breakfast before climbing to the peak of the mountain. Our final destination is to reach the “Golden Summit” by 10am. The climb was tougher than expected! If I did not estimate wrongly, I should have climbed around 2000 steps of stairs.
Finally we reached the Golden Summit! It was a splendid site up there. We were above the clouds and as if we were flying in the sky. But our aim is to see this particular building which the bronze roof will turn golden under sunlight and so we wandered further in to the monastery to look for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment